Re: [perl #18857] [RESOLVED] segfault in perl 5.8

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
April 20, 2003 18:11
Re: [perl #18857] [RESOLVED] segfault in perl 5.8
Message ID:
20030421011121.GD16762@fdgroup.com
On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 03:33:48AM -0700, Wilbur Goltermann wrote:
> People,
>
> I'm curious as to just what actually was the resolution.  I received an email
> some time ago acknowledging the following:
>
> 	According to Nicholas Clark's valgrind testing this bug has been fixed
> 	in the latest developer versions, and the fix will be in Perl 5.8.1 (whenever
> 	that happens).  I'm marking the problem ticket as resolved.
>
> Is there a patch available?  Is there any way of predicting when the
> aforementioned release will come about? Or should we go back to using Perl
> 5.6.x?

Sorry, no-one seems to have replied to this.

I'm not sure which patch(es) fixed this, and if so,  whether they
could be in applied in isolation to a stock 5.8.0.

Perl 5.8.1 should be released in a "short number of months", and in the
meantime a workaround (if you don't require Unicode support), is
to remove any references to 'UTF8' from any LC_* and LANG environment
variables.  Redhat 8.0 onwards sets these by default to unicode-aware
values. Eg change

    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LANG=en_US

Dave.

--
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.