Re: FYI: CPANSTATS

From:
Leon Brocard
Date:
April 19, 2003 01:43
Re: FYI: CPANSTATS
Message ID:
20030419083244.GA11438@kanga.astray.com
Tels sent the following bits through the ether:

> http://www.astray.com/cpanstats/

Wot a cool site ;-)

> * user base is still to small. So please consider using it!

Actually, it's kinda being put on hold until Jos finishes Project
Ann[1] for me. Oh, and until I hack some more on CPANTS, but I'm not
really announcing that yet.

> * Looking at f.i. Math::BigInt, we see most people never bother to
>   upgrade, except when they install a new Perl. Oups.[0]

Definitely. In general, why upgrade if it already works?

> the people running CPANSTATS are the ones that are most inclined to
> update their modules, I think that is bad.

Yes, it's a self-selecting group. Nevertheless the information is
fairly interesting, if only because nobody has collected this data
previously.

The plan is to move the functionality into CPANPLUS. This will make it
easier for people to give their stats. Of course, not everyone uses
CPANPLUS and it's not in the core (yet), but it should give us more
info. Other suggestions welcome.

Leon

[1] there are a couple of things I want to change. the obvious
    thing is to note distributions instead of modules
--
Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/
scribot.................................http://www.scribot.com/

... Hmm... How *did* they finally kill Frosty?