Re: [patch] low hanging fruit from p6 tree

From:
Jim Cromie
Date:
April 17, 2003 11:31
Re: [patch] low hanging fruit from p6 tree
Message ID:
3E9EE4F5.2080106@divsol.com
H.Merijn Brand wrote:

>On Wed 16 Apr 2003 20:24, "Jim Cromie" <jcromie@divsol.com> wrote:
>

>>attached patch carries 'make lint' from parrot,
>>which uses lclint/splint for new & improved perl.fuzz
>>
>>splint is distributed in RedHat 9, probly others.
>>

>But not on HP-UX, AIX, Irix, DEC OSF, .......
>

>>patch includes one tiny hand-tweak not reflected below;
>>I removed perly.c from list, since its evidently in $(c) already.
>>

>Maybe we can consider the patch if it is written from a shell wrapper that
>checks in a system indepenannt way if splint is available.

thanks for the feedback,

Cuz splint's cmd-line options are so different, and to preserve existing
lint usage, I chose
to use a new target, make splint.

I hacked Configure to add $splint and $lclint (2 different names for
same project,
versions 3.0 and 2.5 respectively), and Makefile.SH now checks them.

Im uncertain tho about the portability of this gnu-ism, but I couldnt
find an alternative
already used in Makefile.SH

SPLINT = $splint
SPLINT ?= $lclint

also - this (used 2x) looks sub-optimal, but test -x wanted a full path

    @test `which $(LINT)` || echo "you dont have lint, try splint
instead" && exit 1

Heres a couple usages, to suggest some possible 'corrections' to the
cmd-line opts by porters.
Im not experienced in these matters, and took the list directly from p6

$> make splint 2> /dev/null; wc perl.fuzz
    107    2242   15167 perl.fuzz

$> make splintopts='-posixstrictlib +posixlib +gnuextensions
-isoreserved' splint 2> /dev/null; wc perl.fuzz
     13     269    1819 perl.fuzz

-isoreserved is most responsible for the reduction in complaints