Re: Help with an embedded Perl interpreter with 64 bit integers

From:
John Peacock
Date:
April 17, 2003 06:45
Re: Help with an embedded Perl interpreter with 64 bit integers
Message ID:
3E9EACC5.1010802@rowman.com
JW Thomas wrote:
> Howdy, I'm looking for some super-guru help.  I'm building an application
> requiring an embedded Perl interpreter with 64 bit integers.  I have the AP
> 805 source and am having an impossible time building it on a Windows XP
> package using the win32 directory and use64bitint.  I can build it and run
> it in the cygwin environment, but visual studio 6 barfs at the addition of
> 64 bit ints.

The 64bit integer support in VC++ 6.x is very weak, underdocumented (like there
is apparently no way to clue the compiler into a UL constant), and generally a
pain (I was vainly trying to port Dan Berstein's libtai to Win32).  Apparently
the .NET compiler has better 64bit support; you may need to upgrade before you
can proceed.  I also doubt that compiling ActivePerl has been even attempted
using 64bit ints so there may be additional patches required to get it to work.

Did you try using this instead of M$loth's compiler:

	http://www.mingw.org/

which doesn't require the Cygwin runtime DLL's.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock