Cross-Compilation patches

From:
Redvers Davies
Date:
April 15, 2003 14:30
Subject:
Cross-Compilation patches
Message ID:
1050442177.14874.86.camel@duragesic

Greetings.

Attached is a .tar.gz file which contains all you need (with respect to
perl) to cross-compile perl-5.8.0.  It is tested for arm-linux and
solaris x86 so both the ARCH and the OS threshold have been crossed.

md5sum: accdf8b92cb77dd40db4456f4b3ec4bb  perl-cross-0.1.tar.gz

Untar me in your perl-5.8.0 directory

>From the README

This is a patch set which adds cross-compilation to the perl
buildsystem.  It was built as a part of the Open Zaurus
(http://www.openzaurus.com/) distribution.  Most / All of the
optimisations are "borrowed" from this excellent project.

The main target is arm-linux but I have also managed to
successfully cross-compile perl for solaris x86 using the same
buildsystem.

We are currently dependent on an existing working local copy of
perl which is available as /usr/bin/perl.  This could be migrated
to using native miniperl with some additional effort.

Obviously you need a working and tested cross-compiler for your
build and target combination.  The binary directory must be in
your path.

1)      untar perl-cross-0.1.tar.gz in a clean perl-5.8.0 sourcetree.
You should be reading me (README) in perl-5.8.0/cross

2)      Make sure you are in the cross directory.

3)      Edit the file 'config' to contain your target platform
information.

4)      make patch      ## This will patch the existing source-tree.
5)      make perl       ## Will make perl

The Obvious Ommissions

This does NOT perform any installation as site installation method will
be dependant on the target arch and OS.

make test will NOT work as the binaries and libraries will not execute.

Due to space limitations on the Zaurus (it's a PDA) we do not provide
documentation in the core - Therefore man pages are not even generated.

Enjoy!