How cross-platform is `foo 2>&1` these days?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
April 5, 2003 15:35
Subject:
How cross-platform is `foo 2>&1` these days?
Message ID:
20030405233543.GD1233@windhund.schwern.org
I know `` went through quite an overhaul between 5.6 and 5.8.  A lot of
common, Unixy things are emulated on non-Unix systems like >>, >, < and 2>&1.

My question is how wide-spread is this in 5.8.x and bleadperl?  Who has it
and who doesn't?

The problem I'm trying to solve is to write a cross platform version this:
    my $dist_test_out = `$make disttest`;
for testing MakeMaker that *also* captures STDERR inline with STDOUT. ie.
    my $dist_test_out = `$make disttest 2>&1`;
I know it'll work in some places under bleadperl, but not all.  I need to
know on what non-Unix systems it will and won't work.