Re: Thread::Semaphore manpage misleading?

From:
Abigail
Date:
April 2, 2003 00:54
Re: Thread::Semaphore manpage misleading?
Message ID:
20030402085444.GA14046@abigail.nl
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:15:02AM +0200, Philip Newton wrote:

> I'd've submitted a patch but I don't know what the "P" and "V"
> operations on semaphores are, so I don't know whether the comments are
> attached to the correct method and only the order is wrong, or whether
> the comments are correct but the methods in the synopsis are the wrong
> way around.

The "P" and "V" stand for the Dutch words "Pak" and "Vrij", which
translated mean "Capture" and "Release". (The operations were named by the
late Dijkstra, who was Dutch). Capturing a semaphore (the P operation)
means trying to get (exclusive) access to a piece of code, releasing it
means you're signalling you are done.

Abigail