Re: 5.8.1@19053: threads goofs

From:
Ilya Zakharevich
Date:
April 1, 2003 13:38
Re: 5.8.1@19053: threads goofs
Message ID:
20030401213728.GA4780@math.berkeley.edu
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 11:04:55PM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> 	A thread called exit() or die()d while ** other threads were running
>
> Ugh.  Too long.  But if we want to go long how about turn the whole thing
> around and say:
>
> 	A non-detached thread exited without being joined while ** other threads were running

This has nothing to do with detach()/join().  Reading the source
shows: what the message tries to express (but as you can see it does
not succeed) is that a thread requests the whole process to exit(),
while this thread is not the last running thread of the process.

> Incidentally, I wonder about the message:
>
> $ ./perl -Ilib -Mthreads -e 'threads->new(sub{1 while 1})' A thread exited while 2 other threads were still running.
> $
>
> What "2 other threads"?  There are only two threads total, not three...

Hmm, maybe they forget to subtruct 1 (to account for "other")?

Hope this helps,
Ilya