Re: 5.8.1@19053: threads goofs

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
April 1, 2003 09:56
Re: 5.8.1@19053: threads goofs
Message ID:
20030401175634.GX1068@vipunen.hut.fi
> a) threads.xs does not check the result of pthread_create() call.
>    This leads to numerous problems later, when the results of the
>    thread run are expected.
>
> b) A message is printed if one of the threads wants the process to
>    end.  The message looks like
>
>      A thread exited when ** other threads were running
>
>    This is very confusing ("a thread exited"?  Should not they do this
>    all the time?)  "called exit() or die()ed" should be more clear.

I'll let Arthur deal with a) as I understand he's working on related
matters already.  For the b) ... hmmm, how about

	A thread terminated when ** other threads were running

I'm hoping that "terminated" better describes what we mean (namely
that (an undetached) thread went away without being join()ed, I think...)
I also think the suggested "called exit() or die()d" is simultaneously
too verbose and too sparsek: threads can also _exit(), segfault, ...

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special