Re: cpan.org ownership change?

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
April 1, 2003 07:42
Re: cpan.org ownership change?
Message ID:
20030401164126.W74624@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 04:32:39PM -0800, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 04:20:09PM -0800, Randy J. Ray wrote:
> > My concern is, it seems, due only to the fact that this happened one day
> > sooner than one would have expected.
> >
> > That is to say, it's not April 1st, yet.
>
> How longitude-centric of you.  Its been April 1st for over 12 hours in
> New Zealand.

It appeared to go live at about midnight Finish time. It seems that they
went onto summer time at the same time as the UK, and probably all of
Europe, so that's GMT +0300

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 09:54:11AM -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> Sigh. If this was an Apr 1 prank, it's another great example of why the
> whole phenomenon of the practical joke isn't remotely practical. How
> many people got "support calls" last night besides me, I wonder? How
> much time was burned trying to figure out "where CPAN went"?

I just followed a link. Offhand, I can't remember which one, given that
they all went to index2.html. So about 5 seconds in my case.
(Using links helps here - it shows the URL of the active link, and as you
skip to the next link with down arrow it rapidly dawns you that they all
point to the same place)

There was some forewarning (as in "look at cpan.org on 1st April") implying
that some prank similar to last year's Comprehensive Java Archive Network
(Which I can't find a screenshot or better still page mirror of)

Nicholas Clark