5.8.1@19053: crypt_r() takes 128K per thread

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
March 31, 2003 23:04
Subject:
5.8.1@19053: crypt_r() takes 128K per thread
Message ID:
20030401070347.GJ9584@vipunen.hut.fi
> The support of crypt_r() in a threaded perl allocates a struct
> crypt_data in each interpreter.  This struct takes 128K;

... in OS/2, that is.  Usually I've seen that to be in the range of
few hundred bytes.  But, wow, anyway.  That's definitely a lot.  Maybe
the IBM programmers took their task a bit too seriously :-)

> this is a very significant part of the overhead of each new created
> interpreter.  Do we want such an overhead on a remote chance of
> crypt() being used?

No, we don't.

> Is not it better to allocate it JIT, or just create a mutex?

The on-demand solution feels better (if there's a crypt_r, I assume
the platform designers assumed you would be using it).  I'll see what
I can do.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special