Re: [perl #21493]: Building Perl on IRIX

From:
John P. Linderman
Date:
March 27, 2003 10:15
Re: [perl #21493]: Building Perl on IRIX
Message ID:
200303271814.NAA14966@raptor.research.att.com
I noticed the following from Kevin Parks in the porters digest:

    After much trial and error I've found that the 5.8.0 will build
    provided one adds -shared to the lddlflags.

    However I do get two test failures - lib/sort.t and
    ext/List/Util/t/shuffle.t. Both give core dumps. I've tried
    reducing the optimisation level to -O2 but with no effect.

    With the -shared flag 5.6.1 builds and passes all its tests.

    Kevin Parkes

The ext/List/Util/t/shuffle.t core-dump has been there for months.
Jarkko and I concluded it was a compiler bug (it wasn't there for
older versions of the compiler, and it isn't there with gcc).
The lib/sort.t core dump is new (to me), but, given that sort
shuffles the input array when qsort is selected for large arrays,
perhaps the two errors are related.  I've been running 5.8.0 on
an SGI (IRIX64 smaug 6.5 07121148 IP27 mips3) since (before) it was
released, and the core-dump has never occurred outside the test
environment.  But I can't think of any place I use shuffle or
coerce qsort, so that may not mean much.  -- jpl