Improving diagnostics.pm

From:
J-FORGET
Date:
March 26, 2003 10:10
Subject:
Improving diagnostics.pm
Message ID:
v01520c00baa798843e9e@[80.9.70.30]
You did not look for previous occurrences of
diagnostics.pm, did you? It was there at

http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/cgi-bin/w3glimpse/perl5-porters?query=diagnostics.pm

A few months ago, I announced a CPAN-ized version
of diagnostics.pm with a few additional
features:
- support for I18N
- possibility to look for diagnostics explanations
in module PODs, not only perldiag.pod.

But at the same time, I announced that I had
corrected some bugs. I did not tell which, but by
downloading my CPAN-ized version, you would have found
that these bug fixes included:
- understanding %2.2f printf specifiers and others,
- sorting the messages by decreasing fixed substrings total
length to prevent the display of an irrelevant message.

And there was an answer by Yves Orton, to change the THITHER
filehandle into a $THITHER reference to a filehandle.

But the next version (with Yves' suggestion) never came because
I have less time to work on this. A big remaining problem is the
slowness of the program. If you are interested in
working on this module, I can send you the few optimizations
I have tried. Also, docu^mentation for module maintainers
(like you). At the least, you can download my last
published version of the module from

http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/J/JF/JFORGET/diagnostics-1.2-alpha1.tar.gz

and compare with yours.

Jean Forget

--
WYGIWYGAINGW =  "What You Get Is What You're Given And It's
No Good Whining."

     Archichancelier Mustrum Ridcully
     (cité par Terry Prachett dans The Science of Discworld)