This Week on perl5-porters (17-23 March 2003)

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
March 24, 2003 07:37
Subject:
This Week on perl5-porters (17-23 March 2003)
Message ID:
20030324163701.07b2733e.rgarciasuarez@free.fr
This Week on perl5-porters (17-23 March 2003)
  This week -- well, I have to admit that, if I wasn't writing these
  summaries, I'd have forgotten most the of things that happened this week :
  because it was busy. Read on for the short notes I've taken about all
  those recent developments -- pack(), FETCH()es, threads port, et alii.

pack() changes
  Wolfgang Laun sent a new version of his patches to pack() and unpack(),
  which were integrated into the development and the maintenance versions
  of perl. See the impressive detail of improvements in his message :

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93325.html

XS++
  Salvador FandiƱo sent a patch to MakeMaker to allow to use C++/XS source
  files with a .xss filename extension. These will produce .cpp files that
  will be compiled by the C++ compiler of choice.

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93406.html

Fetching while fetching
  Miko O'Sullivan reports (bug #21602) a complicated but interesting bug
  with tied hashes accessed from within FETCH methods of other tied
  hashes. Dave Mitchell knows about this bug already, which is caused by
  "the internal implementation of ties using a shared global variable",
  which can't be considered clean. Nicholas Clark encourages Dave to write
  a fix, and Miko to write a regression test.

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93355.html

Threaded Cygwin
  Great news : Perl with ithreads now compiles on Cygwin ! and only one
  regression test fails (something in the guts of MakeMaker).

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93417.html

rcatline bug
  Matt Sergeant remarked that the internal "rcatline" operator (that
  appends to a variable a line read from a filehandle), new in perl 5.8.0,
  is sometimes broken, and therefore breaks some code. Enache Adrian
  provided a fix.

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93454.html

Force failure of a regexp
  Jonathan Stiles asks for a way to assert a failure in a regular
  expression. Hugo gives an example that inserts the constants

      our $fail = qr{(?!)};
      our $succeed = qr{(?=)};

  into "(??{...})" blocks. Enache Adrian recalls the "fail" builtin
  described in Apocalypse 5, wondering if it could be backported to Perl 5.

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93505.html

Unbalanced string table refcount
  Paul Dyer reports bug #21614, about the internal warning "Unbalanced
  string table refcount" being issued under mod_perl. It's not really
  clear whether it's a mod_perl-specific problem, since it wasn't
  successfully reproduced with a standalone perl interpreter. Nicholas
  Clark, however, is able to reproduce a memory access error with perl
  5.8.0 (but not with maint- or bleadperl), and even able (apparently) to
  understand what's going on.

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93433.html

Maintsnap
  Jarkko Hietaniemi released a snapshot of maintperl. He hasn't worked on
  perldelta yet, but a list of changes since the last snapshot can be
  found at :

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93488.html

Other news with no title
  Marek Rouchal remarks that the bytecode compiler/loader is broken with
  perl 5.8.0. Enache Adrian submits a patch to solve one of the most
  obvious problems : it's not up to date with some of the recent changes
  to the core.

      http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg93336.html

  Stas Bekman asks why one can redefine the active subroutine, but not
  undefine it. So far, nobody knows.

  Last week, I summarized that Inline::C wasn't working with bleadperl and
  maintperl ; the patch to be blamed for this has been found, it's an
  innocent-looking regexp bug fix (#18533). Waiting for a proper cure to
  be found, this patch has been withdrawn from maintperl. Hopefully Inaba
  Hiroto proposed a patch.

About this summary
  This summary was brought to you by Rafael Garcia-Suarez. Weekly
  summaries are available on http://use.perl.org/ and/or via a mailing