[perl #21553] Re: Solaris Perl (fwd)

From:
Jon Miner
Date:
March 12, 2003 13:13
Subject:
[perl #21553] Re: Solaris Perl (fwd)
Message ID:
rt-21553-53593.11.4280449457415@bugs6.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Jon Miner
# Please include the string:  [perl #21553]

I got this email from our head Solaris administrator concerning the
statement

 You may wish to put your version of perl in the PATH of all users by
 changing the link /usr/bin/perl. This is OK, as all Perl scripts
 shipped with Solaris use /usr/perl5/bin/perl.

in README.solaris

jon

----- Forwarded message from David Lawver <d7l@helios.doit.wisc.edu> -----

From: David Lawver <d7l@helios.doit.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Solaris Perl
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:50:30 -0600
On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:32:50AM -0600, Jon Miner wrote:
> According to README.solaris from the Perl 5.8.0 distribution:
>       users by changing the link /usr/bin/perl. This is OK, as all
>       Perl scripts shipped with Solaris use /usr/perl5/bin/perl.

Not true. I just tripped across /etc/rcm/scripts/README which begins
with:
#! /usr/bin/perl -w

Now, it's true that this file is pseudo code intended as an example,
but rcmscript(4) doesn't make any reference to needing to point to
/usr/perl5/bin/perl, and indeed uses the same magic line in its
example script.

It's my view that if there's one exception to a sweeping statement like
the one above, there are likely to be others....

For example, /usr/bin/rpm2cpio.......

David Lawver, UW-Madison DoIT/POST                dlawver@doit.wisc.edu
608/262-8159  -->3173 CS&S<--                dmlawver@facstaff.wisc.edu
"Paranoia can reduce security." --Nick Maclaren

----- End forwarded message -----

--
.Jonathan J. Miner------------------Division of Information Technology.
|miner@doit.wisc.edu                 University Of Wisconsin - Madison|

Lispers are among the best grads of the Sweep-It-Under-Someone-Else's-Carpet
School of Simulated Simplicity.  [Was that sufficiently incendiary?  :-)]
             -- Larry Wall in <1992Jan10.201804.11926@netlabs.com
                                                                  (88)