Re: CPAN usage question....apropos?

From:
andreas.koenig
Date:
March 2, 2003 00:43
Re: CPAN usage question....apropos?
Message ID:
m3of4up3c5.fsf@k242.linux.bogus

  > Not sure if this is the right forum for this,

Normally the author of a module decides which forum to use for
discussion. In this case it's probably OK to bother us because the bug
may be related to perl directly. CC'd to ashted@cpan.org, the author
of Devel::SmallProf to hear his opinion.

  > so have patience,
  > But just started trying the CPAN shell last night...exploring around.
  > (looking for a way to instrument a program by-line instead of by
  > proc)...I ran into a module that required module "DB"
  > (http://search.cpan.org/author/JHI/perl-5.8.0/lib/DB.pm).

  > Thing is, the CPAN shell seems to not recognize its existance.
  > Try looking under author as well...no such luck.

DB is not a module, it's a namespace reserved for the Perl debugger.
Profilers usually hook into this namespace.

  > Is there something special about this module such that it would not
  > appear in CPAN?  When I tried to build a module that depended on
  > it (Devel-smallprof), I got errors about it not existing on my machine.

Confirmed. 'make test' on Devel::SmallProf 0.9 fails miserably. Bugs
on CPAN modules should be reported to rt.cpan.org and apparently
somebody has reported this bug 9 months ago.

    http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=768

  > Am I missing something obvious other than manual download of the source
  > and macking it is somewhere in the include path?

  > Perhaps am confused, but isn't that what the cpan-shell is supposed
  > to do for me?

The cpan shell can install properly declared prerequisites for you but
it cannot fix bugs in modules. Devel::SmallProf passes all its tests
with perl-5.6.1 but not with 5.8. I do not know why.

--
andreas