CPAN usage question....apropos?

From:
linda w.
Date:
March 1, 2003 19:53
Subject:
CPAN usage question....apropos?
Message ID:
001801c2e06f$3aeb3540$1403a8c0@sc.tlinx.org
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, so have patience,

But just started trying the CPAN shell last night...exploring around.
(looking for a way to instrument a program by-line instead of by
proc)...I ran into a module that required module "DB"
(http://search.cpan.org/author/JHI/perl-5.8.0/lib/DB.pm).

Thing is, the CPAN shell seems to not recognize its existance.
Try looking under author as well...no such luck.

Is there something special about this module such that it would not
appear in CPAN?  When I tried to build a module that depended on
it (Devel-smallprof), I got errors about it not existing on my machine.

Am I missing something obvious other than manual download of the source
and macking it is somewhere in the include path?

Perhaps am confused, but isn't that what the cpan-shell is supposed
to do for me?

thanks,
-linda