Re: Would you please help me with some Perl problems

From:
Colin Watson
Date:
February 28, 2003 02:32
Re: Would you please help me with some Perl problems
Message ID:
20030228103201.GA22580@riva.ucam.org
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 05:50:00PM +0800, LONG Yi Min wrote:
> I have encountered  some "perl" problems on Redhat8.0
>      I used some perl executable file,
>      and the Command goes like  "   ./mead.pl GA3  "
>
> the error message shows that:
>
> "Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0xa1,with no
> preceding start type in require at /../.../.../Text.pm)"

If the input file is binary, you should apply the binmode() function to
its filehandle.

Perl 5.8.1 shouldn't expose these errors because it will not treat UTF-8
locales in the same way, but using binmode() on binary filehandles is
still the most correct way to write code.

Cheers,