Re: Proposal : remove -u

From:
hv
Date:
February 9, 2003 19:13
Re: Proposal : remove -u
Message ID:
200302100315.h1A3FKS15650@crypt.compulink.co.uk
"H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand@hccnet.nl> wrote:
:On Mon 27 Jan 2003 01:05, perl5-porters@ton.iguana.be (Ton Hospel) wrote:
:> In article <20030126215252.4c6_5033.rgarciasuarez@_ree._r>,
:> 	Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rgarciasuarez@free.fr> writes:
:> > The -u command-line switch is obsolete. As perlrun says,
:> > "This obsolete switch causes Perl to dump core after
:> > compiling your program." I suggest to remove it.
:>
:> After which it can mean "by default process textfile in unicode"
:
:Which I proposed a while back, but Hugo didn't think it to be worth a
:single-letter option.

I can't remember how I felt then, but I feel more agnostic about it now.
However we can't go reallocating switches without the separation of a
deprecation cycle.

Hugo