Criteria for deciding what is a core module

From:
=?iso-8859-1?q?Andrew=20Savige?=
Date:
February 9, 2003 17:54
Subject:
Criteria for deciding what is a core module
Message ID:
20030210015455.28080.qmail@web10905.mail.yahoo.com
I'm giving a talk to Sydney.pm on the new core modules in Perl 5.8.0.
I was wondering who decides what is a core module?
What criteria are used before admitting a new core module?

For example, I noticed libnet and Text::Balanced got promoted to a
5.8.0 core module, while Time::Piece did not (perldelta says that
though Time::Piece appeared in Perl 5.7.0 it was removed for 5.8.0
because "it didn't have enough value in it to be a core module").

I also noticed someone suggested taking B:: out of core and turning
into a plain CPAN module instead (the backporting in this case
would be a pest because B API has evolved in parallel with the
internals).

/-\

http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
- Send some online love this Valentine's Day.