Re: [perl #20641] utf8 flag gone

From:
sthoenna
Date:
February 7, 2003 13:38
Re: [perl #20641] utf8 flag gone
Message ID:
cSCR+gzkgqqK092yn@efn.org
On 31 Jan 2003 12:10:06 -0000, Matthew Smith wrote:
>See test.pl and test.xml
>
>The XML::XPath::Literal is an object that refers to a string that has
>the utf8 flag set.
>
>The XML::XPath::Literal stringification result string should have the
>utf8 flag set - but it deosn't in the first and second case.

I don't have the modules to try this out, but if this is a case of
overloaded stringify, patch 17864 may fix it.  Before this patch, utf8
flag was only preserved for ops that called sv_copypv.  After, even
sv_2pv_flags/SvPV users can see the utf8 flag, but only *after* the
sv_2pv_flags call.  We really need to do an audit of SvUTF8 calls to
check for correct calling order for overloaded stringify.

(17864 is integrated into the 5.8 branch as part of 18080.)

Matt, if possible, could you try the pre-5.8.1 perl snapshot at:
http://www.iki.fi/jhi/perl@18639.tgz