Re: 5.6.2 / 5.005_04

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
February 6, 2003 09:18
Re: 5.6.2 / 5.005_04
Message ID:
200302061716.h16HGbB08149@smtp3.ActiveState.com
On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:21:44 GMT, Leon Brocard wrote:
>Leon Brocard sent the following bits through the ether:
>
>> Will there be 5.6.2 and 5.005_04 maintenance releases to fix these
>> problems?
>
>Anyone?

I've said in the past that I would work on a 5.6.2 release once
5.8.0 is out.  I was at the same time covertly hoping that 5.8.0
will be a solid enough release that there would be not much of a
demand for 5.6.2 once 5.8.0 is out. :)

While I have no definite plan yet, assuming there is widespread
interest I still intend to put out a 5.6.2 (with conservative
bug fixes only).  If you rsync the perl-5.6.x tree, that should
be about 60% of what I have in mind for 5.6.2.  It is mostly
missing patches for VMS and a few other platforms that I
don't normally encounter.  I also intend to integrate a very
select few of the 5.8.1 patches and probably a few that I
might have missed from 5.8.0.

Action items:

 * Motivation: If you want to see 5.6.2, let me know and tell me
   how badly you want it and what specific things you'd like to
   see in it.  Copy p5p if the content is relevant and unemotional. :)

 * Patches: rsync perl-5.6.x and try it out on your favourite
   platform (esoteric or otherwise).  Send patches to fix the
   problems you see to p5p and copy me.  Make sure you say
   "5.6.2" in there somewhere.  Smoke testing reports are welcome.

 * Ideas: Suggestions on what to include or leave out of 5.6.2 are
   most welcome.

Thanks.

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com