Warnings about v-string and documentation inconsistency

From:
Andy Wolf
Date:
February 4, 2003 05:10
Subject:
Warnings about v-string and documentation inconsistency
Message ID:
CDEOIOLJIODGKDPCHDANIEEADKAA.andy.wolf@schwaben.de
Hello,

in my modules and scripts I currently have activated warnings via 'use
warnings' and '-w' and when I 'use 5.6.0' as recommended in the
documentation of both 5.6.0 and 5.8.0 the latter gives a warning 'v-string
in use/require non-portable'.

If I deactivate '-w' and if 'use warnings' is processed after 'use 5.6.0' no
warning appears. As I do not think that this is intended behaviour I
currently wonder what the preferred way to specify a certain version
prerequisit is. If I use the old style of 'use 5.006_000' everything is fine
but as the manpage states 'a literal of the form v5.6.1 should generally be
avoided [...] the equivalent numeric version should be used.'...

So what is the intention for upcoming versions of perl and what should be
used ?

regards...Andy