Re: Activestate's post-compile @INC patching...

From:
Colin Watson
Date:
February 3, 2003 10:08
Re: Activestate's post-compile @INC patching...
Message ID:
20030203180830.GA31079@riva.ucam.org
On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:43:19AM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> I had a client ask me about how Activestate allows you to install
> their Unix binaries "anywhere".  I presume it's done with the "pad
> every @INC element out with NULs" and then an install patchup to put
> the actual paths in there and in Config.pm.  But when I looked at the
> provided "diffs between 5.8.0 and AP804" file, I don't see anything
> that resembles that.  I'm guessing then that it's all done with the
> right configure variables and an install proggy that doesn't have to
> be made available under the GPL.

... Artistic Licence, surely?

We apply a similar set of modifications where I work, although the
changes are public (http://support.zeus.com/doc/api/perl/perllic.html):
they rely on an environment variable being set, and do magic things with
it in S_incpush(). I think there might still be a subtle problem
somewhere in CPAN.pm, but everything else seems to work OK.