writers wanted: README.{osx,linux}

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
January 28, 2003 08:04
writers wanted: README.{osx,linux}
Message ID:
20030128160406.GA24686@kosh.hut.fi
I think at least the above potential READMEs have been suggested.
No, I'm not going to write either one: I was kind of hoping someone
else would, that's why this reminder... :-)

Suggested topics:

	OS X
	----
	- dyld warnings (aka how to install
	Perl 5.8.0 without stomping over Apple's
	5.6.1, and how to live with fink's...)
	- Berkeley DB: ...
	- mentioning CamelBones et al
	- mentioning BBEdit et al?

	Linux
	-----
	- beware of glibc x.x.x since its malloc is dog slow
	- "built-in" or whatever that was with some gcc and Perl 5.8.0
	- other known problems in some Linux distributions...?
	- ...

... and more can be found from perl58delta (the perldelta of 5.8.0).
For the OS X installation sagas, visit the macosx@perl.org archives.
Do note that whatever you write shouldn't be bound to one Perl, OS,
compiler, or libraries release: think both backward and forward in
time.  (E.g. "optimization known to broken with gcc a.b.c, but
expected to be fixed in gcc a.b.d".)

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special