Re: Proposal: remove -u

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
January 27, 2003 23:48
Re: Proposal: remove -u
Message ID:
20030128074752.GA13052@kosh.hut.fi
While I have nothing against removing -u, I do have doubts about
recycling it to be "the Unicode switch".  Yes, I agree it would be
more mnemonic, being a 'u' and all... but I think because of backward
compatibility it cannot be reused.  Note that now I do not mean that
someone might have been using -u -- I mean the opposite, someone not
having used -u before *and* then mistakenly using -u with a pre-5.10
(pre-5.9) Perl: "Abort (core dumped)" is not something I think people
should see.  People do frequently read documentation of different
version of Perl than the Perl they are actually running.

(Recycling the -C to be the Unicode switch would be easier simply
because it was a no-op on non-Win32.)

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special