Re: Freeing code

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
January 27, 2003 14:42
Re: Freeing code
Message ID:
20030127223840.A4023@fdgroup.com
On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:52:14AM -0600, Bill Bennett wrote:
> It seems to leak rather slowly, so are you sure you're giving it
> enough time?  I also tried this on my laptop which is running a
> stock install of SuSE 8.1  It leaks more slowly there, but steadily.
> (This may be simply due to the fact that the laptop is much slower).

I see a *very* slow leak - in the order of a few 10s of K per 1M
iterations. Is that the same as you're seeing?

I see a similar very slow leak on the one-liner

    eval '' while 1;

Which increases in size by a page (4K) every 10-20 secs

I suspect this is not so much a leak, as fragmentation by the malloc
library (ie perl is freeing everything it mallocs). I'm checking further.

--
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the