Re: [perl #20491] $SIG{RTMIN} on gentoo

From:
Shevek
Date:
January 27, 2003 05:03
Re: [perl #20491] $SIG{RTMIN} on gentoo
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.44.0301270009200.8552-100000@localhost.localdomain
On 26 Jan 2003, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> Arthur Bergman wrote:
> > > That's strange. What does your signal.h say about it ? (it maybe a
> > > file asm/signal.h or
> > > another sig*.h under /usr/include). There's possibly a bug in the
> > > Configure script if
> > > your signal number is different from -1.
> > >
> > > Anyway, perl should't dump core when given a signal number of -1.
> > > (for reference the core dump is produced by
> > > 	$ perl -e '$SIG{RTMIN} = "DEFAULT"'
> > > )
> >
> > A machine with RTMIN being -1 must be a weird beast since RTMIN/RTMAX
> > combo describes what signals can used for realtime signals.
>
> Gentoo machines are weird beasts ;-) notice that this is apparently a
> gentoo modified kernel, and (afaik) the signal numbers come from the
> kernel. So I just want to know what kind of input fools the complicated
> process by which Configure figures them out.
> (RTMIN is consistenly defined as 32 in all kernel headers here, linux
> 2.4.20)

Hopefully you have copies of my headers by now. However, you're quite
right. I have this fundamental belief that Linux (e.g. Slackware) is a
solid and stable system. However, every single distributor seems to feel
honour bound to <censored> it up...

FTR I don't think gentoo are particularly guilty of this, which is why I
use them. The choice to use gentoo-sources was an experimental one and
consciously so. I object far more to the likes of Red Hat who seem to
break everything in sight. Once we resolve this, I'll probably move back
to vanilla.

S.

--
Shevek
I am the Borg.

sub AUTOLOAD{my$i=$AUTOLOAD;my$x=shift;$i=~s/^.*://;print"$x\n";eval
qq{*$AUTOLOAD=sub{my\$x=shift;return unless \$x%$i;&{$x}(\$x);};};}

foreach my $i (3..65535) { &{'2'}($i); }