Re: Proposal : remove -u

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
January 27, 2003 00:11
Re: Proposal : remove -u
Message ID:
20030127090000.C411.H.M.BRAND@hccnet.nl
On Mon 27 Jan 2003 01:05, perl5-porters@ton.iguana.be (Ton Hospel) wrote:
> In article <20030126215252.4c6_5033.rgarciasuarez@_ree._r>,
> 	Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rgarciasuarez@free.fr> writes:
> > The -u command-line switch is obsolete. As perlrun says,
> > "This obsolete switch causes Perl to dump core after
> > compiling your program." I suggest to remove it.
>
> After which it can mean "by default process textfile in unicode"

Which I proposed a while back, but Hugo didn't think it to be worth a
single-letter option.

I proposed to extend the -u to accept modifiers to select which filehandles
would be in 'binmode (":utf8");'

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0 & 633 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2, AIX 4.3,