Re: Minor error in Porting/Glossary

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
January 27, 2003 00:11
Re: Minor error in Porting/Glossary
Message ID:
20030127090214.C414.H.M.BRAND@hccnet.nl
On Sun 26 Jan 2003 21:49, Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rgarciasuarez@free.fr> wrote:
> Porting/Glossary has :
>
> xs_apiversion (xs_apiversion.U):
>         This variable contains the version of the oldest perl binary
>         compatible with the present perl.  perl.c:incpush() and
>         lib/lib.pm will automatically search in $sitearch for older
>         directories across major versions back to xs_apiversion.
>         This is only useful if you have a perl library directory tree
>         structured like the default one.
>         See INSTALL for how this works.
>         The versioned site_perl directory was introduced in 5.005,
>         so that is the lowest possible value.
>         Since this can depend on compile time options
>         it is set by Configure.  Other non-default sources
>         of potential incompatibility, such as multiplicity, threads,
> 	                                                    ^^^^^^^
>         debugging, 64bits, sfio, etc., are not checked for currently,
>                    ^^^^^^ ?
>         though in principle we could go snooping around in old
>         Config.pm files.
>
> where the underlined points (at least) seem to be innacurate.
> Merijn ?

Huh, me? I'm not the internals guy. Gimme a patch to this doc, and I'll apply
it to the metaunit that defines it, after which I'll regenerate Glossery.

I read this as

perl5.8.0 with lib/perl5/5.8.0/cygwin perl will not look in
lib/perl5/5.6.1/cygwin-multi-64int and perl5.9.0 with
lib/perl5/5.9.0/PA-RISC2.0 won't look in lib/perl5/5.9.0/PA-RISC2.0-64all

extend to your own installed versions.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0 & 633 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2, AIX 4.3,