perldoc, under MSWin and otherwise

From:
Sean M. Burke
Date:
January 24, 2003 19:20
Subject:
perldoc, under MSWin and otherwise
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.1.20030124180833.00b85ba0@mail.spinn.net
Someone mentioned to me that people on p5p were talking about perldoc under
MSWin going kookoo when using more as the pager.  I've just tried
reproducing the problem and can't.

I have the distinct impression that people referring to some of these
problems in perldoc are using the old perldoc, before my
just-short-of-total-rewrite that makes perldoc just a thin wrapper around
Pod::Perldoc.
I encourage everyone using a Perl after 5.005 to upgrade their perldoc from
CPAN's Pod::Perldoc.  (MSWin users will have to screw around with also
altering their perldoc.bat file manually, at least until someone can advise
me on how/whether I can dist a perldoc.bat in my CPAN Pod-Perldoc dist and
have to install over the perldoc.bat that comes with Perl.)

Pod::Perldoc has a great deal of MSWin-specific hacks in it already (like a
bunch of temp-file stuff -- File::Temp doesn't get used at all under MSWin
-- see the code around "sub new_tempfile"), and if it takes one more to
make paging work right, that's fine by me.  Email me your patches,
please!  Don't /just/ send to p5p -- be sure to at least CC me and/or
pod-people, as I'm not on p5p, altho I do watch its topics for perldoc
mentions at http://nntp.x.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/ (via a bit of
LWP automation).

--
Sean M. Burke  sburke@cpan.org  http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/