[perl #20524] FindBin is broken.

From:
Fairlight
Date:
January 24, 2003 07:54
Subject:
[perl #20524] FindBin is broken.
Message ID:
rt-20524-49629.17.685922705377@bugs6.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Fairlight
# Please include the string:  [perl #20524]

I've read the known bugs section in the POD, and this is not listed, so I'm
reporting it.

My admin was installing 5.8.0 and asked me to test as many modules as I
could to make sure they worked under 5.8 as opposed to 5.6.1.

He has 5.6.1 as /usr/bin/perl and 5.8.0 as /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.0 in the
filesystem.

It appears that if your script magic line does not end in a basename of
-just- 'perl', you are given the location of the perl binary itself, and
-its- working directory, rather than the actual script's information.

The temporary workaround was to symlink another 'perl' to the new one, but
I find it unacceptable that FindBin is so broken as to depend on the magic
mandatorily ending in a strict basename.  Some sites maintain multiple
installed versions and suffix them with version numbers, and it is
unacceptable to require a symlink to each, all called perl, just to get
FindBin working.

One hopes this is fixed for 5.8.1.  Please.

Bests,

mark->
--
Fairlight->   ||| "Don't just be an idiot.  Be an    | Fairlight Consulting
  __/\__      ||| equal opportunity idiot!" --Norman |