Re: change #9754: 5 x slowdown for perl -d

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
January 20, 2003 06:48
Re: change #9754: 5 x slowdown for perl -d
Message ID:
20030120144804.GB13911@lyta.hut.fi
> > pp_dbstate calls the PUSHSUB macro, defined in cop.h, that compares the
> > op_private field of the current op against some OPp_* flags, that clash
> > with the HINT_* flags. There's probably a bug here. But I don't understand
> > yet the purpose of the code.
>
> I get the impression that PUSHSUB designed to have PL_op being a COP.
> But other than that, I'm completely out of my depth now.

So am I, OP trees scare me... but just out of creative destructionism,
I completely removed that op_private testing from pp_dbstate() to see
what breaks-- and it would seem that (at least) the debugger won't any
more stop at (at least sub) breakpoints. ('make test' is unphased, but
then again we don't test the debugger.)  Testing for just & HINT_BYTES
doesn't fix the breakpointing, one must test for the whole op_private,
so the real bit(s) must be something else than the HINT_BYTES.

(Yes, the & HINT_BYTES is obviously wrong, at least I sincerely hope
that the debugger has nothing to do with using the bytes pragma.)

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special