Re: change #9754: 5 x slowdown for perl -d

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
January 19, 2003 15:24
Re: change #9754: 5 x slowdown for perl -d
Message ID:
20030119232400.GN450403@lyta.hut.fi
> The two things I don't understand
>
> 1: The above change seems to relate only to hints. Yet the profiling suggested
>    that restore_magic is now called about 23 million times, about 23 million
>    more than previously. How does changing hints increase the amount of
>    magic?

Note that the said change doesn't explain 100% of the slowdown: there's
another 40% increase in execution time between 5.7.2 and 5.7.3 that I'm
still trying to locate.  The "23 million magicks" might be coming in from
that slowdown-- or any of the potentially several less conspicious ones:
there's for example a 7% slowdown between 5.7.0 and 5.7.1.  I would
suggest running profiling with the 9754 and without.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special