Re: MakeMaker problems with relocation

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
January 7, 2003 03:00
Re: MakeMaker problems with relocation
Message ID:
20030107115512.4dc8c703.rgarciasuarez@free.fr
Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> > I wonder whether the perl team (us actually) could take on the
> > responsibility of packaging perl for RH so we don't have to dance around RH
> > decisions...?
>
> We already do. It's called ./Configure && make && su root -c 'make install'
>
> Nothing wrong with your own perl in /usr/local if you don't like RedHat's.

I've always done this on all machines I had root access to ;-)

However I imagine we could ship a _simple_ _sample_ spec file (as other popular
source packages do.) Nothing complicated (no splitting in multiple .rpms, etc.)
Something that could be used simply as :
    $ tar zxf perl-5.9.0.tar.gz
    $ cp perl-5.9.0/contrib/perl.spec /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
    $ mv perl-5.9.0.tar.gz /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
    $ rm -rf perl-5.9.0
    $ cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
    $ rpm -bb --clean perl.spec
    $ cd ../RPMS/i386		# or whatever
    # rpm --force --nodeps -Uvh perl-5.9.0.rpm     # potentially dangerous