develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2002

Re: Thread::Use - use a module inside a thread only

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: Thread::Use - use a module inside a thread only
Message ID:
20020730144110.K38407@plum.flirble.org
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 03:27:50PM +0200, Arthur Bergman wrote:

> On tisdag, juli 30, 2002, at 03:24 , Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:

> > So, we put in a flag that the PerlIO structure doesn't get cloned.
> > This would probably fix problems with other PerlIO:: modules...  And
> > the flag could be set by the PerlIO:: module itself!
> >
> > So instead of trying to find a solution to the problem, try to prevent
> > the problem from ever happening...
> >

> > (hope this made sense...)
> >

> > Liz
>
> No, the correct approach is to clone perlio structures.

In case it's not clear - I agree that this is the correct approach.
It's just that it's hard to do when part of what you're trying to clone
is an opaque data structure supplied by a third party library that wasn't
expecting to be cloned.

OK, I have an advantage here - I have the zlib source. (open source is
useful)
But I'm still looking to do something that isn't in the official source
code, hence poking with their internals.

Nicholas Clark