develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2002

Re: Thread::Use - use a module inside a thread only

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
Re: Thread::Use - use a module inside a thread only
Message ID:
4.2.0.58.20020730122444.02507150@mickey.dijkmat.nl
At 11:22 AM 7/30/02 +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > Hmmm... do we _really_ want to be reading or writing gzipped files from
> > different threads?  I think that would really be asking for trouble...
>Oh, reading or writing should "break" (in that your data gets corrupted by
>being randomly split into the two programs, or randomly spliced together
>on disk from the two programs) but it should not SEGV (or break your program
>otherwise with double free()s)

Ah... ok, glad we agree on that...  ;-)

>I mean to find the simplest way to make cloning an new ithread behave in a
>way equivalent to (real) forking a program that happens to be using zlib
>to read/write a compressed stream:

I think the simplest way would be to have PerlIO::gzip kill itself off
altogether when it is being cloned.  If you would like to have PerlIO::gzip
in the thread as well, you could simply C<useit> again.

>... providing one side of the fork doesn't
>touch the stream further then all is happy. (all that side does is close and
>cleanly discard its z_stream structure at some point) If both sides of the
>fork access the stream then their zlib structures in memory are not
>corrupted, but garbage data will result.
>
>In theory one could do a "lazy" copy on write style clone to implement the
>above - whichever side accesses the stream first wins it, and the other
>half has it forcibly discarded (with a warning if it attempts to access it)
>but that would mean deferring and storing the information available at CLONE
>time about how to copy into the new malloc() pool of the new ithread.

As I said, as a simple solution for now, I think a:

   sub CLONE { undef( %PerlIO::gzip:: ) }

or equivalent of that in XS code would be sufficient to get around the
current problem of having to start your threads before you can open a
PerlIO::gzip layer...

Liz