develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2002

Re: threads and use Config

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
June 26, 2002 09:34
Re: threads and use Config
Message ID:
4.2.0.58.20020626181438.059db7d0@mickey.dijkmat.nl
At 12:05 AM 6/26/02 +0200, Arthur Bergman wrote:
>Since Simon pointed out to me that both DynaLoader AND lib.pm C<use
>Config> I have decided NOT to remove the dependency of Config.pm from
>threads.pm.

Please note that that is not true for lib.pm if Perl was made with

   export PERL_BUILD_EXPAND_CONFIG_VARS=1

If that environment variable is set, the system dependent information is
hard-wired into lib.pm.  Which is an improvement that apparently happened
on November 1st 2000, patch 7522 (according to Changes).

    Expand %Config variables and %ENV variables only if
    so requested during build time using the
    PERL_BUILD_EXPAND_CONFIG_VARS and PERL_BUILD_EXPAND_ENV_VARS.
    Not expanding makes relocating distributions easier.

I'm wondering whether the "relocating distributions easier" is something
that the majority of the Perl users need, to warrant it being the default.

In my case a diff between the hardwired lib.pm and the "Config" lib.pm is:

-use Config;
+

-my $archname         = $Config{archname};
-my $version          = $Config{version};
-my @inc_version_list = reverse split / /, $Config{inc_version_list};
+my $archname         = 'i686-linux-thread-multi';
+my $version          = '5.8.0';
+my @inc_version_list = 5.7.3;

Anyway, Config.pm bloat _can_ be prevented when using lib.pm.  Which might
be a tip for the mod_perl tuning documentation (Stas?).

Liz