develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2002

Switch -rdynamic to -Wl,--export-dynamic for linux

From:
Art Haas
Date:
June 26, 2002 00:27
Subject:
Switch -rdynamic to -Wl,--export-dynamic for linux
Message ID:
20020625225511.GA10231@debian
Hi.

The subject of this message is meant as a suggestion
to the development team. The "-rdynamic" flag is not
documented in GCC nor in the linker, and it was only
after hunting around the GCC code that it reveals itself
to be a "magic" flag that passes the --export-dynamic
flag to the linker. As that flag is documented in
the linker info pages, directly using that flag makes
it seem to be a clearer choice for its usage.

A patch for this is a one-line edit of Configure (line 7613
in the Configure script that came with 5.8.0-RC2), or
something similiar in the hints.sh file. Perhaps after
the 5.8.0 release is done, this change can be implemented,
or at least discussed a bit.

I've build 5.8.0-RC2 with the -Wl,--export-dynamic
flag, and it worked flawlessly, just like it did
when built with -rdynamic. I'm running the linux
kernel Linux-2.4.19-pre10-ac2, glibc-2.2.5, and building
with gcc-3.1.1 from CVS (plus a couple of small patches).

My thanks to everyone working on Perl.

Art Haas

 -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759