develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2002

Re: 2nd draft of announcement

From:
John P. Linderman
Date:
June 3, 2002 05:57
Re: 2nd draft of announcement
Message ID:
200206031257.IAA12388@raptor.research.att.com
Senior Analyst Paul Green wrote:
> Could we also suggest that people who are not on one of the "known popular"
> platforms file SUCCESS reports as well as bug reports?  We don't need to
> hear about Linux (or VMS or VOS or MacPerl, etc) but if someone shows up
> from one of the more obscure OSes, it would be nice to know. I guess this
> means including a list of "known popular" OSes.  I think I mean the OSes
> that p5p regularly deals with (whatever they are).

On an only remotely related subject, the RC1 release still
triggers a core-dump out of
  ext/List/Util/t/shuffle.t
on SGI boxes with relatively recent compilers
(MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.3.1.3m for sure,
and I observed it with a previous compiler as well).

This isn't a real surprise, the problem has been around for a
long time, and the best guess is a compiler error.
(It passes all tests with gcc.)   But the combination of SGI and
a fresh compiler is a "known pretty popular" platform.  So should
the problem be acknowledged in some fashion to head off a slew of
bug reports?  A few feeble attempts to circumvent the problem
with creative compiler options did (me) no good.  On the other
hand, I have never seen another unexplained core dump from any
application I have run with the 5.7 family, so, although any
compiler error is pretty scary, this one seems as benign as possible.
-- jpl