develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2002

RE: 3rd draft of announcement

From:
Green, Paul
Date:
May 31, 2002 15:18
RE: 3rd draft of announcement
Message ID:
A2A34F15EE916148BC4C4748223E67A4027C2603@EXNA4.stratus.com
> How about this:
> NOTE THAT THIS IS A MAJOR NEW RELEASE OF PERL AND THEREFORE YOU SHOULD
> NOT INSTALL THIS INTO PRODUCTION USE WITHOUT AN APPROPRIATE EVALUATION
> PERIOD.  *** This software comes WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER. ***

I think the essential point is this is NOT perl 5.8.0; it is a
pre-release/release-candidate. This is a test vehicle and we'd like people
to respect that.

Perhaps:

<begin>

Please note that Perl 5.8.0 is a major new release of Perl containing many
new features, enhancements to existing features and bug fixes.  This version
is "Release Candidate 1"; the purpose of this version is to permit and
encourage the Perl community to conduct extensive testing and to report
problems so that we, and the owners of affected Perl packages, have an
opportunity to correct them.  Because the process of testing the vast
quantity of Perl software will take time, and because issues uncovered by
this testing may result in further changes or corrections to Perl 5.8.0 and
the various Perl packages, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND USING RELEASE CANDIDATE 1 IN
A PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT.  Please wait for the final and official* version
of Perl 5.8.0 for production use.  As always, you should conduct an
appropriate level of testing before using any new product in your production
environment.

As specified in the licenses for Perl (see the files named Artistic or
Copying), THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO
THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE PROGRAM
PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR
CORRECTION.**

<end>

* Is there a better term I should use than "final and official"?  We use
"generally available" here at Stratus for this condition.

** The first sentence is from Artistic, the second sentence is from Copying.
Just because.

Thanks
PG