develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2002

Re: 3rd draft of announcement

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
May 31, 2002 13:58
Re: 3rd draft of announcement
Message ID:
20020531235855.R27534@alpha.hut.fi
On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 11:54:59PM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > Also, why do we say this:
> >
> > Note that this is a major new release of Perl and therefore:
> >
> > *** DO NOT USE THIS RELEASE OF PERL FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES! ***
> > *** This software comes WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER.     ***
> >
> > Are all major new releases of perl unfit for production purposes?
> > Or is it just this RC1 release that we really mean to say this about?
>
> Better wordings welcome.  I added the above in response to Paul's
> comments about being very explicit.  Maybe it is too scary.

How about this:

NOTE THAT THIS IS A MAJOR NEW RELEASE OF PERL AND THEREFORE YOU SHOULD
NOT INSTALL THIS INTO PRODUCTION USE WITHOUT AN APPROPRIATE EVALUATION
PERIOD.  *** This software comes WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER. ***

=head1 Where To Get It

$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen