develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2002

RE: 2nd draft of announcement

From:
Green, Paul
Date:
May 31, 2002 12:50
RE: 2nd draft of announcement
Message ID:
A2A34F15EE916148BC4C4748223E67A4027C2600@EXNA4.stratus.com
John Poltorak [mailto:jp@eyup.org] asks:
> With Jarkko's help, I've mamged to get Perl to compile on
> OS/2 straight out of the latest snapshot. There are still
> a few failing test scripts which I'd like to sort out, but
> it passes 98.3%, which isn't bad IMV, but I'd like to know
> what is generally achieved on other platforms...

It took me at least a day of work to correct each failing test on Stratus
VOS.  Sometimes it took several days of work.  The causes were all over the
map; bugs in VOS itself, assumptions in Perl about the underlying platform,
and assumptions in the test cases themselves.  I was able to get to 100%
success but it was a LOT of work.  I think you kind of need to look at which
tests are failing; some tests aren't as critical as others.