develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2002

RE: 2nd draft of announcement

From:
Green, Paul
Date:
May 31, 2002 11:39
RE: 2nd draft of announcement
Message ID:
A2A34F15EE916148BC4C4748223E67A4027C25FE@EXNA4.stratus.com
This is very good, Jarkko.

My only comment is that I think we (you) should explicitly state, in strong
terms,

DO NOT USE THIS RELEASE OF PERL FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES!

and of course

This software comes WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER (copy words from GPL)

I mean, why even give people wiggle room here?  Anyone who puts a release
candidate into production is behaving irresponsibly.  Let's not do anything
to encourage it.  All good things come in time.

Could we also suggest that people who are not on one of the "known popular"
platforms file SUCCESS reports as well as bug reports?  We don't need to
hear about Linux (or VMS or VOS or MacPerl, etc) but if someone shows up
from one of the more obscure OSes, it would be nice to know. I guess this
means including a list of "known popular" OSes.  I think I mean the OSes
that p5p regularly deals with (whatever they are).

PG