develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2002

Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

From:
sthoenna
Date:
May 1, 2002 11:07
Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?
Message ID:
7gC08gzkgOlQ092yn@efn.org
In article <20020501192458.Y21317@alpha.hut.fi>,
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> wrote:
>Well, my understanding is that this is exactly what Mark is talking
>about-- for the needs of the FreeBSD itself (build, pksrc?) they don't
>need all of Perl.  For that miniperl or something like Debian's
>perl-base where you don't start by leaving out what you don't need but
>instead by taking in only what one absolutely needs.

But what is 'absolutely need'ed?  We should maintain a document in the
distribution that lists (or tries to, anyway) what under lib/ and ext/
is actually an implicit or explicit part of the Perl language.  I'm
thinking of all the pragmas as well as things like Errno that are
implicitly loaded.  PerlIO/*.  AnyDBM_File and at least SDBM_File.
Config.  What else?

(Note that I'm thinking of Debian's perl-base now, and other OS's that
go that route, not FreeBSD's build needs.)