develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2001

[ID 20011227.003] lib/io_xs dubious

From:
Gus Spier
Date:
December 27, 2001 13:34
Subject:
[ID 20011227.003] lib/io_xs dubious
Message ID:
3C2B9469.427227DD@shirenet.com
I may not be the correct person to try to report bugs, mainly 'cause I'm
'way out of my depth here, attempting to make, compile, and install
anything that doesn't have InstallShield in front of it.

But, I can certainly follow directions ...

Thje objective was to install perl on a Dell Latitude with

    655360 bytes total conventional memory
    655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
    633840 largest executable program size

   1048576 bytes total contiguous extended memory
         0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
    941056 bytes available XMS memory
           MS-DOS resident in High Memory Area

Running MS Windows 2000 (Version 5.0, Build 2195;Service Pack 2)
Physical memory available to Windows: 196,064 KB

Being only slightly timid, I read and re-read README.win32 ...
I downloaded and installed gcc-2.95-crtdll as well as gcc-2.95.2-msvcrt
I donwloaded and installed dmake.

I ran dmake from the command line from inside the perl5.6.1/win32
directory
I ran dmake test from the command line from inside the perl5.6.1/win32
directory ...
And received:

Failed Test Status Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed

lib/io_xs.t        5  1280    ??   ??       %  ??
24 tests and 135 subtests skipped.
Failed 1/258 test scripts, 99.61% okay. 0/10867 subtests failed, 100.00%
okay.
dmake.exe:  Error code 255, while making 'test'

Immediate review of documentation doesn't leave a bald hint what might
have happened here.

After the line:

cd ..\t && ..\perl.exe -I..\lib harness

what appears to be a list of test results is written to the display ...
those that result in "skipped" appear to be rational and expected (for
example io/pipe was skipped because I didn't edit the makefile.mk to be
able to fork)

I will, out of ignorance, proceed to dmake install, on the hopeful
assumption that io_xs is an esoteric function that I won't really need
and is not critical to the install of Perl ... If in fact, that's a VERY
BAD IDEA, then you will, of course, receive a follow-up email.

By the way, I'm not entirely sure that you (whoever, and how-many-ever
there are of you) actually get the appreciation that you justly deserve
for all this hard work.  I certainly appreciate what you do ... maybe
some day, I'll do something worthwhile for the next guy.

Regards,

Gus