develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2001

'make dist' .tar.gz -> .tgz?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
December 23, 2001 16:13
Subject:
'make dist' .tar.gz -> .tgz?
Message ID:
20011224001325.GE672@blackrider
I uploaded one of my modules to a VMS machine the other day and
noticed the filename came out as:

    Foo-1_00_tar.gz

gunzip'd you get:

    Foo-1_00_tar.

while is isn't fatal, its odd.  It probably effects any filesystem
which puts significance on dots (Windows and friends).

I wanted to set the SUFFIX in my Makefile.PL to .tgz but found I
couldn't because MM_Unix has "$(FOO).tar$(SUFFIX)" hard coded all over
the place.

So I was thinking about adding a new $(TGZSUFFIX) target and changing
the default 'make dist' to use TGZSUFFIX=tgz unless told otherwise.

Any objections?

Perl Quality Assurance	    <perl-qa@perl.org>	       Kwalitee Is Job One
I was *meant* to mount your donuts.