develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2001

Re: bleadperl can't find make

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
December 22, 2001 09:38
Re: bleadperl can't find make
Message ID:
20011222193812.M11882@alpha.hut.fi
On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 12:08:07PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Something's gone rather wrong, hasn't it?
>
> Don't worry if any of the following aren't found...
> I don't see Mcc out there, offhand.
> ar is in /usr/bin/ar.
> bison is in /usr/bin/bison.
> I don't see byacc out there, either.
> cpp is in /usr/bin/cpp.
> csh is in /bin/csh.
> date is in /bin/date.
> egrep is in /bin/egrep.
> I don't see gmake out there, either.
> gzip is in /bin/gzip.
> less is in /usr/bin/less.
> ln is in /bin/ln.
> make is in /usr/bin/make.
> more is in /bin/more.
> nm is in /usr/bin/nm.
> nroff is in /usr/bin/nroff.
> I don't see pg out there, either.
> test is in /usr/bin/test.
> uname is in /bin/uname.
> zip is in /usr/bin/zip.
> I can't find make or gmake, and my life depends on it.
> Go find a public domain implementation or fix your PATH setting!
>
> not yet had a look why - the dog wants a walk and I had been hoping to leave
> things building while I was out.
> Hopefully someone knows the answer.

I've been dabbling with the make-finding logic lately because VOS has
rather queer requirements: it really doesn't care about the system make
(which is apparently too simple to build Perl), it wants gmake.
But now that you mention it I don't know why it can't do it with
the hint file.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen