develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2001

Re: restricted hashes, and other readonlyness (was "clamp...")

From:
Jeffrey Friedl
Date:
November 3, 2001 09:14
Re: restricted hashes, and other readonlyness (was "clamp...")
Message ID:
200111031714.fA3HEVF26158@ventrue.corp.yahoo.com

Nick Ing-Simmons <nick@ing-simmons.net> wrote:
|> I would like concrete examples of places where delete-ing keys is
|> vital to the application.

You really can't imagine an object that is intended to be used with a fixed
universe of keys, yet one whose actual membership set within that universe
is dynamic?

A sort grep through some common libraries quickly yields a few
likely candidates:
      the various IO::Socket objects
      Net::FTP object
      ExtUtils::MakeMaker
      the param has in CGI.pm
      the Pod.pm object

|> But if you can get the compromise "seconded" by other people - then a
|> slightly cleaned up version is possible candidate for 5.8.

Mmmm, I thought that's what most others in this thread have been doing.
      Jeffrey