develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2001

Re: restricted hashes, and other readonlyness (was "clamp...")

From:
chromatic
Date:
November 2, 2001 23:46
Re: restricted hashes, and other readonlyness (was "clamp...")
Message ID:
20011103074649.94741.qmail@onion.perl.org
In article <20011102214911.C1194@pjcj.net>, "Paul Johnson" <paul@pjcj.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:44:20PM -0500, Michael G Schwern wrote:

>> They're just two levels of deletion which we find handy.  It allows one to
>> cram FOUR meanings into an individual hash value:
>>
>>     1) There is a true value here
>>     2) There is a false value here
>>     3) There is an undefined value here
>>     4) There is no value here

> Why stop at four?  VHDL has a nine valued logic type.  How are we going to
> properly describe hardware without it?

Probably because no one wants to think about the appropriate assignment shortcut
operators:

	\\=
	!!=
	((=
	))=
	@@=
	~~=

It'd be nice to chain them, too:

That ought to give the syntax police a legitimate gripe.

-- c